Welcome to the SPIN Collection of National Monuments and Statues
This database contains pictures and descriptions of national-commemorative monuments in Europe. Here are some instructions for navigating, searching and browsing the database.
Searching (by country or category)
- CLICK HERE FOR A COUNTRY INDEX (alphabetically from "Albania" to "Yugoslavia"). Note that, as a result of incisive disruptions or constitutional peculiarities, some countries (Germany, Great Britain, Yugoslavia) are listed in various sub-categories.
- CLICK HERE FOR AN INDEX OF GROUP-TYPE CATEGORIES. These categories are:
- Decade of placement (when the statue was put up);
- Reference period: period in the nation's history that the statue refers to, broken down by period (pre-1100, 1100-1400, 1400-1550, 1550-1650, 1650-1800, 1800-1918, 1918-2000);
- Type of personality glorified. This category includes the following types:
Clerics; Composers; Creative writers; Economists/entrepreneurs; Explorers/adventurers; Insurgents/activists; Military; Monarchs/rulers/statesmen; Painters/sculptors/architects; Saints; Scholars/scientists; Women.
- CLICK HERE FOR A LIST OF ALL STATUES in the database.
- The categories to which each statue belongs are listed at the bottom of each individual entry, in hyperlink format. They will click through to an index of related records.
- You can trawl the entire SPIN database for a particular term or word of your choice by using the search box in the navigation bar.
- Clicking the Monuments and statues tab at the top of each screen will lead you back to this welcome page.
- The "navigation box" on the left will lead you to the various sections of the SPIN Interactive Resources.
- The "toolbox" allows you to print records in this database or to create stable URL-links to them (useful for embedding in digital documents or for source-referencing).
- Clicking the logo in the left-hand top corner will take you back to the main website of SPIN, the Study Platform on Interlocking Nationalisms.
Relevance of a monuments and statues database
Further explanations and bibliographical references are given on the Resources>Statues section of the main SPIN website.